A blog about music... and its awesomeness

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Damien Albarn: Monkey Journey to the West



First, let me say that this is weird one. So hold onto your peripherals.

I actually wrote this post back in October, but thought it might be a little off the deep end back then. Basically, I thought that everyone would hate it. And you know what - I am pretty sure most of you will. The difference now is that I just don't care as much. I think it's fascinating. Standing out from the may artists that I have followed over the years is Damien Albarn. Damien first popped on my radar with "Song #2" and his band Blur from the 1990's. Even though I hated that song I found many of Blur's others song refreshingly different and fresh and while they never became one of y favorites I enjoyed having them in the mix. It was not till his next project, "Gorillaz" that I became truly fascinated. The band was one of the first to begin to successfully mix alternative rock, electronica and rap music together. One of my favorites is from their album Demon Days and is entiled "All Alone."

More recently, I have been fascinated to hear Albarn's latest musical journey into the world of opera. He has composed much of the music and fabric design for an adaptation of "Monkey Journey to the West" a story based on a book written in China in the 16th century. The outcome of this project I found intriguing enough to post hear. What is perhaps the most interesting aspect of this opera is that fact that it came out someone who once simply was the lead singer of a rock band. I challenges me to experiment in the way I listen and write my own music and explore new personally uncharted territory. Here are two songs from Monkey Journey to the West.

"Journey to the West/Heavenly Peach Banquet"

"Monkey Bee"


No comments:

Post a Comment

outbrain profile

About

My photo
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
This blog is dedicated to talking about anything and everything.

Ratings by outbrain

Followers

Friends

Discoveries

Labels

Admin Only

Blogs I Like

Powered by Blogger.