A blog about music... and its awesomeness

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Switchfoot: In the beginning there was Chin



I remember the first time I heard Jon Forman sing. His band, Switchfoot, had just released their debut album, "The Legend of Chin" and I was only 14 or 15 years old. I had found them will surfing the web for new music and then had begged my dad to take me to several music stores to find their album. Eventually, after searching through the racks of several stores we found it buried among a sea of other bands. I had heard other bands before and had bought the Beatles "Help!" album and spun it a million times, but this was different. This was a band that I had found that no one else I talked to knew about it. It was such a rush to tell my friends about them and get them hooked to the music.

The band I was in during high school, Frontline, even covered one of their songs when we played a few gigs. What attracted me to the band so much was not only their music, but also the way they presented themselves to the world. They were undoubtedly Christians and were unafraid to tell anyone that if you asked them. However, they did not feel the need to make their faith blatantly and annoyingly obvious to their listeners. They had deep faith and conviction and this came through without having to mention the name Jesus in every other song. To me their lyrics gave their beliefs both the poetic and intellectual merit that it so deserves. Moreover, they did not label themselves as a "Christian band" which I liked. Labeling yourself a Christian band seems to imply that the music is only for Christians and that it was exclusively for those who believe the same way they do. I found this attribute of the band to be both inspired and encouraging. I felt that someone else understood me. I liked the authenticity that these guys displayed without the facade of what some say Christianity should be. They sung about real things, they sung about love, life and why.

Switchfoot helped me in many ways to become who I am today because of how they lived out their faith. They weren't trying to be religious, they weren't trying to be perfect - they were just trying to be people who believe in Christ singing about life from that perspective. This influence on my life was profound.

Since their debut, they have released several other albums over the years, some of which I have connected to more than others. They have gone from a trio to quintet. They have gone from nobodies to somebodies and while I still feel partial to some of their earlier albums, maybe it is the nostalgia, I still can find that certain authentic quality in each of their albums that reminds me why I have always liked this band. And even now I still listen to their music when I need a little encouragement.





















Here are a few of my favorites from over the years. In no particular order.



"Let that be Enough" - From New Way To Be Human



"On Fire" - From The Beautiful Letdown



"Daisy" - From Nothing Is Sound




"Dare you to Move" - From Learning to Breath




"Don't Be There" - From The Legend of Chin

1 comment:

  1. Man, I remember when Jon Foreman was my answer to "if you could have coffee with one living person, who would it be?" They were my favorite band for so very long. Legend of Chin is still on my top 5 albums. I'm glad they're still doing so well. I will always be a fan.

    ReplyDelete

outbrain profile

About

My photo
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
This blog is dedicated to talking about anything and everything.

Ratings by outbrain

Followers

Friends

Discoveries

Labels

Admin Only

Blogs I Like

Powered by Blogger.