A blog about music... and its awesomeness

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Subject of Rap: Emmanuel Jal - "Warchild"



Child Soldiers. I've read numerous books on the subject. I've watched horribly graphic and horrid documentaries as well. It is a real and present problem in the world that is growing. In a culture that is full of self-centered hip-hop artists who sing about fame, money and women Emmanuel Jal, a Sudanese Hip-Hop artist and former child solider, brings with him both a depth and authenticity that is refreshing to the genre. He has something to sing about. It makes me think of Raps origins which can be found in the oral traditions and histories of Africa. Here are a few links to some resources about the issue of child soldiers if you are interested. Wikipedia. Amensty International. And here are some suggested readings. Children at War. A Long Way Gone. Here is a link to an interview with the author of Long Way Gone and a documentary on the issue. I warn you that it is pretty heavy stuff. Don't go there lightly. I studied this issue at university and it broke my heart then just as it still does today.



Emmanuel Jal - "Warchild"


No comments:

Post a Comment

outbrain profile

About

My photo
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
This blog is dedicated to talking about anything and everything.

Ratings by outbrain

Followers

Friends

Discoveries

Labels

Admin Only

Blogs I Like

Powered by Blogger.