A blog about music... and its awesomeness

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Seu Jorge: Covering David Bowie - "Life on Mars", "Changes"


Cover songs often just get a bad wrap. Cover bands, for example, are often considered to be the Diet Pepsi version of the real thing. Often they fall short of expectations. However, from time to time, someone comes along and covers another's music and something magical happens. 

Case in point, Seu Jorge, a Brazlian musician, covered a number of David Bowie songs for the film "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" (which just happens to be an amazing picture). The outcome - some amazing songs. The cool thing about these songs is that everyone - fans, embarrassed closet David Bowie fans like myself, and those who simply can't stand his music can find something special in these songs. 

Here are some of my favorites. By the way, if you are interested, click on the titles above the videos to go to the David Bowie versions of these songs on YouTube - just as awesome in my opinion. 




1 comment:

  1. I was so surprised when the credits rolled and I saw those were all Bowie covers. I'm definitely in the "can't stand Bowie" camp, but those covers were awesome.

    ReplyDelete

outbrain profile

About

My photo
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
This blog is dedicated to talking about anything and everything.

Ratings by outbrain

Followers

Friends

Archive

Discoveries

Labels

Admin Only

Blogs I Like

Powered by Blogger.