A blog about music... and its awesomeness

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Top 5 Albums of 2008


It is difficult for me to simply name my top 5 albums from 2008, however this list is a little more selective. It is based on the albums that I have actually listened to the most and not the ones that I want to like the most. There are so many great albums out there this year - and perhaps I will supply a list of runner ups in the future. But for now these are this years albums that I have been spinning the most. Below you will find the top 5 albums - each with my current favorite song from each album.


#1: Coldplay: Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends
- favorite track = strawberry swing -



Coldplay really stepped up to the plate with this album. Not only is the album remarkably positive and uplifting throughout the entire album, it also shows a broad range of influence ranging from Latin American style clapping rhythms, to African drum beats, to almost Asian sounding guitar riffs. It's just a brilliant album. One that I have a hard time getting sick of and even more importantly one that my wife doesn't get sick of.



#2: Radiohead: In Rainbows - favorite track = bodysnatchers

This is one of those albums that I looked forward to for weeks and weeks. Radiohead has constantly been one of my favorite artists since early high school. The have continually evolved and experimented with new instruments and sound landscapes. In many respects this album seems to signal a shift yet again for Radiohead, they seem to be moving back towards some of their earlier more alternative rock grounded music after years of more experimental music. However, they aren't returning alone they are bringing much of the experimental sounds with them to fuse together their rock roots and experimental music. I simply love this album. It come out kicking hard and then soothes your soul. Brilliant.




#3: Fleet Foxes: Fleet Foxes - favorite track = white winter hymnal

I fell in love with this album from the first moment I heard it. It is refreshingly simple and understated. The tracks are filled with vocal harmonies that are reminiscent of the Beach Boys but are more appropriate for cold fall days.





#4: TV on the Radio: Dear Science, - favorite track = golden age

This is a strange one. TV on the Radio creates a captivating sounds that mixes and confuses music genres like soul, rap, rock, and electronic. I have found this album to be one of my favorites this year, and I am guessing for years to come.





#5: Bon Iver: For Emma, Forever Ago - favorite track = Flume

This album is simply haunting. The vocals are mostly in falsetto - and continually astound me. It is an absolutely beautiful album.

3 comments:

  1. Dude - you win 500 cool points from me for figuring out how to prevent youtube from showing the actual video.

    Plus - Bon Iver is the shit. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really easier than you might think. Just change the html code for the height of the youtube video to 25. Easy as pie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I figured it out once I saw you do it. It just never occurred to me to do that. Genius.

    ReplyDelete

outbrain profile

About

My photo
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
This blog is dedicated to talking about anything and everything.

Ratings by outbrain

Followers

Friends

Discoveries

Labels

Admin Only

Blogs I Like

Powered by Blogger.